October 11, 2006

No baseball in NY?

Karla Schuster at Newsday writes about all the media coverage that Joe Torre is getting with the Mets still in the Playoffs not getting hardly none. I mean come on, Torre is on the front page and on the back page with five pages of Yankee news and then you have to search for the Mets and find them in the center of the paper near the comics. How about Sports Center having two different segmants on Torre and one on A-Rod and then lightly touch on the Mets and Cardinals series twards the end. I mean give me a break. Anyway here is what Karla has to say:

No one is happier than I that Joe Torre is keeping his job as Yankees manager.

Really, I mean that. I was sweating it out for Joe these last few days. It's not like there was anything else going on in New York baseball.

It would have been different if, say, there was still a New York team in the playoffs. Wait a minute, I almost forgot: There IS a New York team still in the playoffs.

Sure, I'm gloating. But I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the plight of the Yankees and their long-suffering fans, who have borne an indignity unlike any other in baseball: a whopping six seasons -- SIX -- without a World Series ring. Honestly, I'm concerned about the mental health of Yankee fans everywhere, and I want you all to know that there's no shame in asking for help. Maybe A-Rod can recommend a good therapist?

So today, I offer some solace the only way I know how. I will answer the burning questions vexing Bomber Nation.

Q: Will A-Rod be traded?
A: The Mets are playing tonight at Shea in the National League Championship Series.

Q: Will Carl Pavano figure out how to drive -- or pitch -- anytime soon?
A: Hard to say, but I chipped in with some friends and got him a MetroCard and a subway map, just in case. Oh -- and I hear the Mets are playing tonight at Shea in the National League Championship Series.

Q: Will Derek Jeter and Mariah Carey ever get back together?
A: Not after she made that movie "Glitter." By the way, have I mentioned that the Mets are playing tonight at Shea in the National League Championship Series?

Make no mistake, there are serious baseball issues to be resolved in the Bronx. And I, for one, sincerely hope that the Yankees figure out how to win in the postseason despite having an All-Star at virtually every position. Meantime, there is serious baseball left to play in Queens. October baseball. Mets baseball.

No comments: