February 07, 2007

Stoner looking for a chance

Mike Mathews at the News and Tribune wrtes about Tobi Stoner and how he feels he's ready for the Next step:


Drafted in the 16th round by the New York Mets, Stoner earned a promotion to Class A Savannah, Ga., of the South Atlantic League after a productive season with Brooklyn in the New York-Penn League last summer.
At Brooklyn, Stoner, a right-hander and starting pitcher, finished third in the Class A league in innings pitched, was fourth in earned run average and sixth in wins.
He went 6-2 with a 2.15 ERA and worked 83 2/3 innings, allowed only 66 hits, walked just 17 and struck out 62. Opposing hitters managed just a .219 batting average against the 2002 Southern Garrett High School graduate.
Looking back, Stoner admitted he may have had sold himself a little short when he arrived in Brooklyn, finished 41-33 and four games behind division winner and eventual league champ Staten Island.
"I knew going in it would be competitive, but I kind of thought it would be a little more competitive for me, personally," he said. "I'm not putting down the league. Maybe I under-estimated by ability a bit."
"When I started doing my thing and playing my game, it seemed like it was a lot easier for me to do well and be successful than I thought it might be."

No comments: