April 30, 2007

The Mets Ace?

Steve Popper at North Jersey, asks if John Maine is the Mets staff Ace right now:


Maine's body of work through the first month of the season should change all of that. Now, it might not be a reach to refer to him as the ace of the Mets' staff.

Maine hurled seven shutout innings Sunday afternoon, helping the Mets to a 1-0 win over the Nationals, coming out on top in the not-so-anticipated pitchers' duel between Maine and former Rutgers right-hander Jason Bergmann.

"If he keeps going, I think he's going to be up there soon," Willie Randolph said. "He's got a long way to go, but I like what I'm seeing right now. He's got to continue to be consistent."

"He's getting better and better every time out, getting stronger and stronger," Randolph said. "He knew he had to get through that last inning. I told him, 'Give me one more strong one.' He did that. Good job."

No comments: