May 03, 2007

Maine Gets Pitcher Of The Month

Gregor Chisholm at Mets.com, writes about John Maine and the award he received for the month of April:

Maine earned NL Pitcher of the Month honors on Wednesday after finishing April with a perfect 4-0 record. The 25-year-old leads the Major Leagues with a 1.35 ERA, allowing just five earned runs in 33 1/3 innings.

It was an impressive start to the season, but Maine isn't about to let the early success go to his head, because he knows it's going to be a long season.

"I've still got a lot of stuff to work on," Maine said. "I'm pleased, [but] I've got five more months. I've just got to keep it going. I've got to worry about May now."

Maine becomes the first Mets hurler to win the monthly award since Al Leiter in June 2000. Maine was 6-5 with a 3.60 ERA in the 2006 regular season and pitched even better in the playoffs, going 1-0 with a 2.64 ERA in three starts.

No comments: