October 10, 2007

Garland On The Market

From Ed Ryan at Mets Fever (Network Member):


Scott Merkin of MLB.com discusses the White Sox's rotation for 2008 in his mailbag column for the White Sox. Apparently the Sox's have several young pitchers that maybe ready to break into the rotation. To accommodate the youngsters the club will have to move a veteran pitcher. Jose Contreras and Jon Garland are the two pitchers mentioned in the column. I'm not interested in Contreras after the year he had and his age but Garland sounds intriguing to me. the 28 y/o righty is considered the staff ace, he has seven years experience all with the Sox in which he has compiled a record of 92 and 81 with an ERA OF 4.41.

With the White Sox wanting to make some pitching decisions before moving on to Tucson for Spring Training, I would list the final spot battle between Danks and Gavin Floyd since they are known commodities. I still think Gonzalez might put up a spring challenge, though. If I had to pick right now, on Oct. 8, I would give the nod to Danks.

Garland and Contreras won't both be moved in the next few months. But obviously, even one departure opens up another spot for a young hurler.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that the idea of Santana is going to be in every bodys minds like zito last year, but garland might be the logical choice for the mets