December 22, 2007

Add Padilla to the Mix

After waiting two years for the dominant middle reliever that they had in 2005 the Mets decided to non-tender Juan Padilla just under two weeks ago. Reports from Adam Rubin's blog indicated that Padilla was slow to recover and wouldn't be ready for spring training.......

Padilla came into the league in 2004 splitting time between the Yankees and Reds. In 2005 he had a break out season with Mets as a middle reliever, in 24 gms (36.1 innings) he had a record of 3-1 with an ERA of 1.49. Padilla went down with an elbow injury and under went TJ surgery losing the entire 2006 season. He reported to spring training in 2007 ready to reclaim his spot in the pen but almost immediately went down with a tendon problem in his forearm losing another season......

Today the Mets signed him to a minor league contract with an invite to spring training. Padilla is reporting that he's healthy, will be ready for spring training and sounds very confident......


"I want to get back on that mound," Padilla said. "I won't be a question mark anymore. I'll be the Juan Padilla from 2005. No one will have to ask me, 'How are you doing?'


"There'll be competition, but I know if I'm healthy, I'll be a tough decision. I won't make it easy for them (to send him to the minors)." source Daily News

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the oakley wearing warrior is back