October 11, 2006

Glavine on Pujols

Chris Girandola at SNY writes about Tom Glavine and his thoughts on Albert Pujols:

"There's a competitive side that we have as pitchers that you want to try to get him out," said Glavine, who has not allowed a home run to Pujols in 20 career at-bats. "Obviously, Albert is a great hitter, and he's the guy that we're going to identify in their lineup as trying not to allow him to beat us. I think you have to factor in the situations in the game and you have to factor in the previous at-bats during the course of the game and how he's looked or how he may or may not be swinging the bat."

"But I can assure you, if I've got a four-run lead and he's up with a guy on first base or whatever, I'm going to be hard-pressed to stand on that mound and put aside my competitive side and say, 'I'm just going to walk this guy.' Sooner or later, we're going to have to pitch to him."

No comments: