February 12, 2007

Alou's reasons

Christian Red at the NY Daily News writes about Moises Alou and why he came back for another season:


"You just look at the Mets' roster, it was a no-brainer," Alou says of signing the one-year, $8.5 million deal (with an option) he inked with the Mets last November. "At this stage in my career, I'm not looking for any extra money, you know? I just wanted to be on a winning team - on a team that looks like it can win it all. I think the Mets are that team."

The 40-year-old Alou - who had already logged 15 seasons in the majors, won a World Series ring with Florida ('97), overcome two potentially career-ending injuries and confronted a cruel fate after his infamous brush with Chicago Cub fan Steve Bartman in 2003 - became an immediate target on Minaya's radar. Were it not for some higher-profile free agents available after 2004, Alou could have been playing in a Mets uniform even sooner.

"I talked to Omar when they signed Pedro (Martinez). I was his Plan G," Alou says, laughing. "Unfortunately, I couldn't get it done then."

"Moises Alou has always made a difference," says his father, Felipe Alou, who is now a special assistant to Giants GM Brian Sabean. "Moises is a tough guy, fearless. When he played against me, I always feared what he would do with the bat. He kills fastballs. That quickness is still there.

"He has confidence and a little cockiness. There is an unselfishness, too, and he always accepts challenges. When you bring that to a clubhouse, I believe that helps any team."

No comments: