April 19, 2007

Hernandez Still Loves The Mets

David S. Glasier at The Morning Journal, writes about Roberto Hernandez and how he still loves the Mets:


''I enjoyed players for the Yankees -- Thurman Munson, Lou Piniella, Roy White and (Ron) Guidry. But I was always drawn to the Mets as a team,'' Hernandez said. ''The Mets were ÔThe Lovable Losers.' The year they won the World Series, in 1986, was the year I was drafted by the Angels. I was more proud and happy to be a Mets fan."

At this stage of a 16-year career in the big leagues, Hernandez won't be making many more trips as a player to his adopted hometown. He also knows that Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium, the home of the Mets, are in their respective twilights.

''Shea has taken a beating, but to me, it's hallowed ground,'' Hernandez said. ''I went to a tryout there at Shea in 1981, when I was 16. I was on Cloud Nine.''

No comments: