May 04, 2007

Glavine Passes 2,500 K's

Barry M. Bloom at Mets.com, writes about Tom Glavine getting one step closer to the Hall Of Fame:


Glavine's strikeout of D-backs second baseman Orlando Hudson to end the first inning was the 2,500th of his career. And his sixth-inning whiff of Eric Byrnes was No. 2,503, moving Glavine ahead of New York Giants great Christy Mathewson into 28th place on the all-time list.

"I don't want to say it's not a big deal to me, but on the one hand it's really not," Glavine said. "I don't consider myself to be, nor does anyone else, a strikeout pitcher. It's another one of those things that it's a nice number and nice company to be in. Hopefully there'll be a bunch more before it's over. It's certainly not a statistic I'm enamored with, but it is a nice number."

No comments: