June 06, 2007

Little Production From Newhan

What does a 5 foot 10 inch, 185 pound, son of a great news writer; bench player get the Mets?

Apparently it gets them 46 at bats, a .196 batting average, 1 home run, 4 runs batted in and 1 stolen base.

I also sad it last year when Jose Valentin wasn’t hitting anything off of the bench. The only difference is that Newhan will not get regular playing time at any position this year.

If the Mets are going to succeed, as they did last year, something needs to be done about David Newhan. A trade, demotion to the minors or a flat out release would suffice for me.

Every time I see Newhan take his drunken stance in the batter’s box, I already know what is going to happen and 24% of the time I’m right. A gust of wind hits the pitcher’s face and Newhan walks back to the dugout with a disappointed look from ear to ear.

Now I’m not knocking his work ethic or his devotion to the Mets. I’m simply stating the facts. Newhan is one of the main reasons the Mets bench is in such disarray.

Maybe once the regular starters come back from the disabled list, Newhan can take a seat. But there’s going to be a time when the only option left on the bench is Newhan and that’s when I’m going to know that the game is lost.

No comments: