November 30, 2006

Glavine hasn't gotten an we go again

Adam Rubin at The NY Daily News, writes about Tom Glavine and the state of his free agency:

Glavine, who is trying to decide whether he wants to pitch for the Mets or return to the team he began his career with, has yet to receive an offer from Atlanta, complicating a situation that has a very patient Omar Minaya in limbo with the winter meetings just days away.

"He can't even evaluate that they (Atlanta) really want him if he doesn't have an offer," Glavine's agent, Gregg Clifton, told the Associated Press yesterday. "The bottom line is we're waiting to see if Atlanta wants to make a proposal to us. We've had really nice dialogue on a few occasions and we've kind of left it: 'We're open. We're waiting for (GM) John Schuerholz to give us a call if he would like to.'"

Clifton, who said he expects a resolution before the winter meetings start Monday in Orlando, suggested the attractiveness of staying with the Mets may have trumped Glavine's desire to remain with his family in the Atlanta suburbs.

"As time has gone on, I think it's actually been the potential pull and the desire to go back to New York and be a Met that has delayed this process and further complicated his decision-making," the agent said.

No comments: