December 14, 2006

Williams says he is open to starting or reliefing

Adam Rubin at his blog for the NY Daily News, writes about Dave Williams and his ambition to make the Mets better by assuming any role:

Dave Williams, who re-signed with the Mets yesterday, said he's prepared to compete for a rotation spot during spring training, but he's also perfectly willing to serve in Darren Oliver's long-relief role if the organization prefers.

“I’ve been a starter most of my career,” Williams said. “The caliber of this team, you just have to try to contribute some way. If it’s in the bullpen, that’s fine.”

"It's definitely exciting for me," he said. "Any time the team you end the year with wants you back it's definitely something special, especially since I came there halfway through the year and didn’t really pitch a half-season, per se, to show I can pitch in New York."

No comments: